One of Florida’s leading arts education institutions, The Society of the Four Arts’ new Four Arts Hall resulted from the complete renovation of a landmarked, 1920’s, 10,000 sf former junior high school gymnatorium into an elegant, multi-purpose facility designed to support The Four Arts’ expanding educational, community and social programs. Originally designed in the classic Palm Beach Spanish Mediterranean revival style, the Center now has a fresh, pared-down contemporary aesthetics that refers to its historic roots.
The new interior consist of a formal entry lobby from the street, where the boys and girls locker rooms once were, and an extensive multipurpose space with a raised dedicated stage area, left over from the original gymnatorium days, for musical and theatrical performances as well as spoken word events. However, its lighting, flat floor and movable seating allow it to easily change into an event or banquet hall that accommodates 350 people. Its acoustics are also flexible, being amenable to both performances and the sound level of a lively party. Fully equipped with a sophisticated acoustical / audio / visual / lighting system and professional engineering booth, this new facility is the most advanced of its kind for the Palm Beach area.
The interior aesthetic is warm and celebratory featuring French limestone and white oak ceilings and walls. Giving it a bolt of energy are the bright red accents of the upholstered chairs, curtains, and the lobby’s built-in seating. The custom designed bronze light fixtures are contemporary interpretations of those used in the 1920’s.
Special entrances for the disabled and elderly make the Center available to all.